Star Rating

If your complaint relates to facilities at the property and standard of the accommodation you can contact STAR Ratings Australia if the property is STAR rated.

For all STAR Rating enquiries:
Phone: +61 3 9601 3325
Fax: +61 3 9601 3300

The Australian STAR Rating Scheme is managed by Star Ratings Australia (a division of Australian Motoring Services), on behalf of Australia’s Auto Clubs and assesses six accommodation categories, including hotels and motels, serviced apartments and self-catering properties, hosted accommodation (B&Bs) and caravan/holiday parks.

The Star Rating scheme is an accreditation scheme available to all compliant tourist accommodation in Australia. There scheme has been reviewed numerous times over many decades and completed the most recent review process recently. There is no international scheme.

STAR Rated properties are continually assessed by Official STAR Rating Assessors against more than 200 criteria from three key areas:

1. Facilities & Services
2. Cleanliness
3. Quality & Condition

STAR Rating criteria are ranked according to their importance to the consumer.

STARS represent levels of quality, rather than superiority. That means if a property has just one or two stars, it can still be a great place to stay if you are looking for a property with that level of quality.

Star Rated and self rated are very different things. Self rated accommodation apply a measure generally on the same scale (out of 5) as Stars based on the perception of the owner or manager of the property in their own assessment. Generally self rated properties will show a "" as opposed to the official five pointed star for star rated properties. Regardless you may find some properties misrepresenting themselves and may wish to refer to the official star ratings website.

Health and Safety Issues

If your complaint relates to the condition of your accommodation in terms of health, hygiene and safety you can contact the local council or Department of Health for the relevant state. Instances such as these would relate to severe instances relating to public health matters not simply poor cleaning standards. If your complaint relates to simple poor cleaning make a complaint to the property.

Department of Health WA
Tel: (08) 9222 4222
PO Box 8172
Perth Business Centre
WA 6849

Department of Health QLD
Tel: (07) 3234 0111
GPO Box 48
Queensland 4001

Department of Health SA
Tel: (08) 8226 6000
PO Box 287
Rundle Mall
SA 5000

Department of Health and Human Services TAS
Tel: 1300 135 513
GPO Box 125
TAS 7001

Department of Health NSW
Tel: (02) 9391 9000
Locked Mail Bag 961
North Sydney
NSW 2059

Department of Health and Families
Tel: (08) 8999 2400
PO Box 40596
NT 0811

Department of Health VIC
Tel: 1300 650 172 or (03) 9096 0000
Department of Health
50 Lonsdale Street
Victoria 3000

Department of Health ACT
Tel: 13 22 81
ACT Health
GPO Box 825
Canberra City
ACT 2601

Illegal Activities and Damage

If your complaint relates to illegal activities taking place at the property during your stay or incidents involving violence or damage to property you can contact the local police for the relevant state.

Loss or Damage relating to personal items

It is never a pleasant experience to misplace personal valuables, have them stolen or damaged let alone when traveling.

Travelers should be aware that:

  • Most states and territories in Australia place a limitation on the liability of accommodation providers. You should make yourself aware of those limitations.
  • Lost items are not covered - loss does not mean lost.

If you wish to lodge a complaint, you will need to consider the nature of the complaint as direct it appropriately for:

Innkeeper's Legal Liability

In the event that your property is damaged or stolen during your stay, accommodation providers may have a limited liability for the loss of guest property in certain circumstances. The extent of this liability varies according to state laws as listed below. Liability of the accommodation provider will generaly only apply to a guest of the accommodation on the day that accommodation is provided and excludes certain items such as cars, animals etc. For full details guests should consult the detail of the relevant legislation in the relevant state.

State Legislation relating to Innkeeper’s Limited Liability:

ACT - Civil Law (Wrongs) Act 2002 ss151, 152
NT - Accommodation Providers Act 2002 ss5, 6, 7
NSW - Innkeepers Act 1968 s7
QLD - Traveller Accommodation Providers (Liability) Act 2001 s12
TAS - Civil Liability Act 2002 s49A
VIC - Carriers and Innkeepers Act 1958 ss29, 30 (expires 01/09/12) replaced by Australian Consumer Law and Fair Trading Act 2012
WA - Liquor Licensing Act 1988 s107
SA - There are no equivalent provisions in South Australia